RAD logo.jpg

Hi.

Welcome to RAD design.  I share all things home decor and how to achieve amazing spaces for a fraction of the cost.

STREET APPEAL

STREET APPEAL

We certainly didn't purchase our house for its initial looks, inside or out. The outside, however, was something quite different. The exterior fence, a stunner copper brown, the weatherboards light yellow and the kickboards and awnings a light grey. Although it was love at first site it certainly had great bones. I have always loved weatherboard houses with wooden joinery so this place really ticked those boxes even if the colour was so off. 

As well as the interesting choice of exterior colour the entrance to the house was extremely old school with wooden framed glass creating a porch and a glass panelled front door. These were not only exceptionally out of date but the front door also let quite a lot of light into our living room and noise which we noticed had dulled down when we replaced it. 

After completing the interior of the house and months & months of driving up to the house saying how nice it would be to paint it we finally bit the bullet and decided we would just do it.... ourselves. With the incredibly daunting job ahead of ourselves we headed to Bunnings to get some test pots and begin the big decision of what colour to go for. I have always liked the look of dark houses with crisp white joinery and since we live on a relatively busy road it was a good way to go as the house was quite dirty when it was yellow. After painting about 5 different colours from the Dulux and Resene range and looking at them in different lights we ended up going with a Resene colour called Blackjack and alabaster white for the joinery and features. Blackjack was the only one of the test pots we got that didn't have a green/blue tinge to it. 

Once the colour was decided scaffolding was hired and the prep began. We had to wash down the exterior walls with water and sugar soap then used our trusty mouse sanders to lightly sand the weatherboards ready for paint.

After starting with paintbrushes we quickly realised this was most definitely not the way to go. Mini rollers and a paint brush for the corners did the trick nicely. After 2 incredibly hot summer long weekends and we were complete.... at least when you looked at it from the street it was complete. Unfortunately, we had commitments the next couple of weekends which meant the scaffolding had to go back and the left and rear exterior walls weren't completed and will have to wait until we have some more time. When we do our laundry plans are to remove some windows and reinstate the backdoor which currently has concrete stairs leading to nowhere so will most likely complete the painting once a that has been done. 

Although not completely finished, we added vertical wood panelling where the wooden glass frame was and replaced and painted the front door. Although minor these things made such a difference and modernised the house a bit more. 

MASTER OF THE HOUSE

MASTER OF THE HOUSE