TWO STAGE MAKE OVER
Like the rest of the house, the bathroom was pretty gross but unfortunately, the budget didn't quite stretch to doing it properly at the start so we decided we would do it in two stages. Stage one was done at the same time as everything else we did to move into the house which included a lick of paint (Resene concrete) and ripping up the disgusting lino. The floor boards under the lino weren't in the best condition, staples everywhere that needed to be hammered in, a couple of holes and some plywood where a wall must have been moved so we decided we would cover up the holes and paint the floors white in the interim. It was a bit of a risk but knew it wasn't going to be a long-term solution and there wasn't much else we could do with the budget we had. Unfortunately, we had to keep the existing toilet, shower etc so just cleaned disinfected them thoroughly. To spruce the room up a bit more we changed the towel rail, toilet roll holder and put some greenery in there. I also wanted to change the light fitting so found some awesome pendants from the Citta outlet store for about $40 each! Small things like this definitely helped the space look a lot better than it did.
1 year almost to the day of living in our house we finally have our dream bathroom. We were completely over having to hold the flush on the toilet down for ages for it to actually flush, hitting the shower head while washing our hair, stepping on staples that were left over from the lino and feeling like the shower might fall through the floor as the wooden floorboards around it were looking very dodgy. Earlier in the year I had found a Michel Cesar vanity on trade me which included 2x basins for only $300 (Bargain!!) It had been in a showroom so had a couple of knicks out of it but nothing major so we bought it to keep to the side for when we did the bathroom. So after 4 months of this taking up space in our spare room we decided it was time to do the bathroom for real.
Like the other work we have done we did all of the demo, bracing, insulation and Gibb ourselves then got the professionals to come in for the electrical, plumbing and tile work. As we had a tight schedule to keep to we decided to get a plasterer in this time to ensure it was completed on time.
No major structural changes were made in the room except for removing the window which was above the toilet so we could have a much larger walk in shower. The vanity position is exactly the same and we kept the original bath as is is perfectly fine. As we already had the vanity all we needed to get was the shower and tap fittings as well as a new toilet (YAY!). We got all of these from Paterson's and manage to get a good price as we were getting quite a bit at the same time.
When it came to choosing the tiles again like other spaces I had so many different ideas and really wanted charcoal herringbone tiles on the feature wall and floor but after going to the tile shop decided the tiles and installation would be too much and needed to go with a tile that was bigger and not as time-consuming to lay. With this I decided on the rectangle charcoal tile for the feature wall and floor with white larger subway tiles on the remaining three walls and around the bath. We also decided against underfloor heating which we may regret during the winter but just couldn't justify the expense.
After a couple of finishing touches like a mirror, task light and greenery we were done and couldn't be happier!!!